• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Milk doesn't do a body good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

everythinginside

Ex-Bluelighter
After reading into some stuff about dairy products, I am abstaining from eating them anymore.

Butter is fine-still.. because it's good to cook with..

however, milk and cheese are actually horrible for us. It's crazy how USDA pushes their product like it's some godsend. Dairy is probably the worst thing a human (past infancy) could have.

here's a page full of links explaining the reasons.

A little bit into it--- think of all the steroids dairy cows are on.. and they're living conditions.. think of all the hormones passed through milk... that are now in your mcdonalds cheeseburger and everything else.

Just read into it.. it might save your life... (or maybe at least the quality of it)

http://www.notmilk.com/

http://www.jewishveg.com/schwartz/pcmyths.html

http://www.jonbarron.org/newsletters/news030407.htm

http://www.animalliberationfront.co...Milk Page.htm (obviously biased site-unprofessional- still)

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/MilkCal2.htm
(very good article)

Last edited:
soo... am I supposed to believe what Iv been tought all my life OR what some website called notmilk.com says

Im sorry Im sure if u looked around hard enough u could find a pretty convincing site that could tell you water is unhealthy

Wow, one page could save our lives? lol

How many people have survived on dairy all these years?

Plenty. :D

I've cut dairy out, and my skin looks a lot nicer for it. I personally think something that comes out of a cow's sac is probably meant for a calf, and not humans.

haha.. ok RC and cool cow...

I suggest looking it up yourself. It's nothing new. Also, you've also been spoonfed to believe drugs are bad, but do you?

Why do you think the United States has higher incidents of osteoperosis?

Milk contains many allergins, bacteria (of which multiply by 2 every 20 minutes at room temperature).

No there are no sites that claim water is bad. If you find one let me know.

No one site won't save you're life, but the information might.

Nice sarcasm.

(also- they say milk builds strong bones, however, it does not. You're stomach can't even use the calcium in milk, for the most part, because it doesn't contain magnesium, which is required for calcium to implement into our bodies. Wanna know one of the best sources of calcium/magnesium?... Brocali)

Milk is just goup... it's nasty.

I used to love it. I drank 3 or 4 glasses a day. I love cheesesticks- they are my favorite snack..

after picking up what I know- however, I am quitting all dairy (besides small amounts of butter)

you know feces is also in milk?

I haven't decided it's ok. If I can find a substitute that is as good for cooking- then I'll switch..

But I don't like vegatible oil.

Butter is not ok.. but neither is smoking- but I still do it.

I agree that milk has some disadvantages...
If you can get me a good source of protein, carbs, calcium in a liquid form i would be willing to switch.

PS
yogurt is much much better than milk for those of you who are thinking of abandoning milk

What a retarded thread. That web site is full of bullshit. But hey Im just a guy who grew up on a dairy farm and drank a shit load of milk, so I must be full of steroids and crazy.

a quote from the page:
"To me, these dairy producers are death merchants and their product is no better than heroin or cocaine grown by equally hard working farmers and drug dealers in South America."

How fucking dumb are you to believe this bullshit. I don't even know where to start making fun of this website, good for a laugh but not much else.

everythinginside said:
you know feces is also in milk?

Obviously you've never been to a dairy farm and looked at the process in which it is cleaned before it even goes onto the truck or the cleaning and pasteurization process it goes through before it is shipped to the consumer.

You have probably never been to a dairy farm, you have no knowledge of how one works, you don't know the industry, and you don't seem to have an education in nutrition, so I don't know why you try to push this "balanced" point of view on milk. Because you know how to read?

Milk will not kill you, no.
I dont believe there are feces in it either.
That website is propaganda, pushing their cause just as much as the gotmilk commercials push theirs.
The truth, as usual, lies somewhere in between.
I do believe the calcium in milk is good for you, but as everythinginside mentioned, there are MANY other healthier sources for calcium (especially vegetables like broccoli) that do not have the negative effects from milk. There is so much unhealthy stuff added to the cows these days...and think about it..all of that goes into the milk. Why do you think new mothers have to be so careful about drugs while nursing their babies? It all gets concentrated in the breast milk.

All this on top of the fact that cows milk is meant for baby COWS, not people.

I stopped drinking milk about a year ago (I still consume other dairy products but I used to drink a LOT of milk) and feel much better without it.

everythinginside said:

(also- they say milk builds strong bones, however, it does not. You're stomach can't even use the calcium in milk, for the most part, because it doesn't contain magnesium, which is required for calcium to implement into our bodies. Wanna know one of the best sources of calcium/magnesium?... Brocali)

Actually the most vital mineral to aid the absorbtion of calcium is Vitamin D . http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/food_facts/faq/calcium_milkfat_faq.asp

... which is contained in milk, along with Riboflavin, Phosphorous, Vitamin A and Vitamin B12.

Magnesium does not "increase" the absorption of calcium. Magnesium and calcium actually compete for the same pathways of absorption. Thus, if eating too much calcium, a magnesium deficiency is more likely. Dairy does contain a 12:1 Ca:Mg imbalance in favour of calcium, so if you are eating a diet very high in dairy, you may throw your magnesium levels off and possibly could need supplementation.

But lack of it isn't going to inhibit your calcium stores: quite the opposite, actually.

Just so we're all clear ;)

You know.. I just did a quick search to see if I could bring up the info I found before- that was actually the reason I thought of making this thread... I'm sorry I posted that site- I guess it might have been a little biased.

I can't believe some people took this personally. I'm NOT attacking dairy farmers (unless I think about how cows are actually decently intelligent animals, and it's cruel the way we treat them- but if we get into that argument I'll end up having the world hate me)

Sorry if you think that sight is bullshit... to tell you the truth I didn't look through all of it. My mistake!!!! boo on me. get MAD.

here are a couple more links- none of which are set in stone, obviously- take as you do.

http://www.jewishveg.com/schwartz/pcmyths.html

http://www.jonbarron.org/newsletters/news030407.htm

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Practical/Health/No Milk Page.htm (obviously biased site-unprofessional- still)

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/MilkCal2.htm
(very good article)

Like I said before- just search for yourself-

I-myself have felt better since I have lowered consumption of milk. I used to drink close to a gallon every two days... and I have always been plauged with allergies (even when they're not in season). No medication has ever helped me. No allegra no nasal sprays nothing. Now that I have lowered consumption I have felt better.

Stawberry_lovemuffin- thanks for clarifying the way the whole calcium/magnesium thing worked.. I knew there was a connection but I was going by what I have loosely referenced in my head... which as you can tell-doesn't do much for itself sometimes ;)

Last edited:
1. Not-milk has a lot of crap on it. Some good stuff, some bad. But my mom is crazy about the site, which is *usually* a bad sign. ;)

2. Alot of the 'evils of milk' apply only to:
a)conventional (non-organic milk)
b)people will allergies to proteins in milk
c)those who are lactose intolerant

For those of us who can properly digest milk and don't have any allergies to it, and consume organic dairy, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

BTW- one of the negatives of dairy products is joint pain. (for some people)

I have TMJ, and it is said that magnesium supplimentation helps with that.

just a quote from the first link on my last post:

"One might wonder if drinking milk is natural to human beings when we recognize that no other mammal on earth consumes the milk of another species or consumes it after a weaning period."

-but then- i feed my cats milk- or used to. They still expect it every morning at 4 am... but I don't give it to them as much-anymore, because I've heard they're actually allergic to it.

oh- and to Hotrails, thanks for the attack. Yes I do know some stuff about nutrition.. not by choice but through nessecity. Yes I do know how to read (huhuuh, yer funny), and yes I have been to dairy farms. I grew up in Indiana, we have cows and corn here... and that's about it (generally).

Last edited:
Actually, I wonder whether the problems non-lactose intolerant people have when on a high-dairy diet are less to do with what's 'bad' in diary, and more to do with the lack of magnesium they're experiencing as a result.

It seems plausible... given you can't absorb magnesium & calcium at the same time. Magnesium deficiency causes all kinds of nasty yet 'low level' symptoms, leg and joint pain.... headaches... PMS. I could go on and on.

No wonder many of these conditions miraculously clear up for some when they drink less milk. They're getting their Ca/Mg back in balance again.

It's an interesting thought anyway.

(I love my dairy though. thank god for magnesium supplements :D)

^yeah- maybe milk is just not 'as good' as the USDA pushes it to be.

just another chapter of the same story about how everything's about money.

"One might wonder if drinking milk is natural to human beings when we recognize that no other mammal on earth consumes the milk of another species or consumes it after a weaning period."
This is not true, some ants 'milk' aphids. Also, milk is simply another bodily fluid -- several species consume the blood, for example, of another animals. It's really not that different. Besides, whether something is 'natural' or not doesn't have anything to do with whether is beneficial or harmful. We do alot of unnatural things as humans, some bad and some good, just like the many natural things we do.

maybe milk is just not 'as good' as the USDA pushes it to be.
I definitely agree there -- especially since the milk that's being pushed is nasty nonorganic milk. I get mild cold-like symptoms from consuming non-organic milk or ice cream, especially if it contains the synthetic growth hormone.

^I'm not aware of organic dairy... or at least- in my area organic foods are not very popular (we're behind times for sure)

can you link to some products? Because I really like milk, I love cheese... but when I started reading some of the negatives, I immediately identified them in myself, many of them (ADHD symptoms, joint pain, allergies, cold symptoms which happen all the time).. and I felt I really had no choice but to try to lower consumption extensively.

oh and One might wonder if drinking milk is natural to human beings when we recognize that no other mammal on earth consumes the milk of another species or consumes it after a weaning period. ;)

I do however, definately agree with your logic about what's natural and what's 'not'. =D

Most grocery stores (including albertsons, publix, and winn dixie) tend to carry organic milk from either horizon or organic valley with their regular milk sections.

If you're drinking full fat milk and a gallon every other day or so you might want to consider decreasing consumption just out of concern for the fat intake there...

Status
Not open for further replies.